I see potential for
- Combat games like Risk could have fog of war, heroes, cover, flanking, moral, fatigue.
- Economic games, like Awesome Town, could be mass multiplayer in a persistent world.
- All kinds of games could have vast “replay-ability” with randomized scenarios like alien invasion, zombie apocalypse, natural disasters, influencers, etc.
- Another HUGE potential is how game developers could make games as platforms for user-generated content. So, maybe Isaac Childres publishes Gloomhaven with it’s 95 scenarios and fans create another 300 scenarios.
- Lastly, I see AR infused board games as a way to draw video gamers into a more social game setting. My friends and I played a ton of Star Craft, Command and Conquer, etc. we always sat alone in front of our computers. Can you imagine how fun it would be to play a realtime strategy game with AR in your living room together with your friends?